Ph D, Professor, School of the Environment, Nanjing University.
Vice director of the Institute of Environmental Sciences, Nanjing University
Ph.D. : 1999, Nanjing University
M.S.: 1985, Research Center for Eco-Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences
B.S.: 1982, China University of Petroleum
2005-present, Deputy Director, Institute of Environmental Sciences, Nanjing University
2003- Present: Professor, School of the Environment, Nanjing University
2013.6-2013.11：Visiting Scientist, Department of Soil Sciences，The University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA
1997- 2003: Associate Professor, School of the Environment, Nanjing University
1989-1991: Visiting Scientist, Department of Chemistry, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
1985-1996: Associate Researcher, Physical and Chemical Test Center of Jiangsu Province
My research interests focus on:
1) Environmental behavior, eco-toxicology, and health risk assessment of organic contaminants.
2) Innovative schemes for environmental management and remediation of organic pollution.
I am particularly interested in the bioaccumulation and biotransformation of certain persistent and/or emerging pollutants (antibiotics, pesticides, PBDEs, PAHs, and hormones) in organisms and their effects on human health.
1. “Degradation Mechanism of Disinfectants by Peroxidase in Coordination with Sunlight in Natural Water”，funded by the National Natural Science foundation of China, 2016/01-2019/12
2.? “Metabolic processes of organophosphorous flame retardents in fish and related structure-toxicity relationships”，funded by the National Natural Science foundation of China, 2014/01-2017/12
3.? “Indexes and threshold value of toxicological water quality criteria for protection of aquatic organisms in river basin”，Task of the National grand Science and technology project for water pollution control and remediation in the twelfth “five-year plan” “Research on the criteria and standard system for water environment quality in river basins”，2011.7-2015.12
4. ?“Health risk assessment and risk management technologies for the pollution of veterinary medicines”，Special research funds for public welfare in environmental protection，2011.1-2014.1
5. ?“Biotransportation, Bioaccumulation, and biomagnifications of POPs”，Task of the National Basic Research Program of China (973 Program) “Environmental Behavior, Toxic Effects, and Principles of Control Technology for persistent Organic Pollutants”，2009.1-2013.12
6. “Warning technologies for the risk of major environmental pollution incidents”, 863-Hi-tech research and development program of China, 2007.12-2010.12
7.? “Simulated Study on the hepatic metabolizing mechanism of polybrominated diphenylethers”，funded by the National Natural Science foundation of China, 2010.1-2012.12
8.? “Degradation mechanism of polybrominated diphenyl ether with White-rot fungi”, funded by the National Natural Science foundation of China, 2007-2009
Selected Recent Publications :
- 1. Yang, Yun; Li, Jianhua; Lu, Kun; Shi, Huanhuan; Gao, Shixiang*, Transformation of 17alpha-ethinylestradiol by simultaneous photo-enzymatic process in Humic water. Chemosphere, 178:432-438, 2017
- Jianbiao Peng, Jie Xue, Jianhua Li, Zhongkun Du, Zunyao Wang, Shixiang Gao*, Catalytic effect of low concentration carboxylated multi-walled carbon nanotubes on the oxidation of disinfectants with Cl-substituted structure by a Fenton-like system, Chemical Engineering Journal, 321:325–334, 2017
- Wang, Guowei; Chen, Hanyan; Du, Zhongkun; Li, Jianhua; Wang, Zunyao; Gao, Shixiang*， In vivo metabolism of organophosphate flame retardants and distribution of their main metabolites in adult zebrafish. The Science of the total environment，590-591:50-59，2017
- Jianhua Li, Ya Zhang, Qingguo Huang, Huanhuan Shi, Yun Yang, Shixiang Gao?, Liang Mao, Xi Yang；Degradation of organic pollutants mediated by extracellularperoxidase in simulated sunlit humic waters: A case study with17beta-estradiol，Journal of Hazardous Materials, 331：123–131，2017
- Jianhua Li, Ya Zhang, Jianbiao Peng, Xinan Wu, Shixiang Gao*, Liang Mao，The effect of dissolved organic matter on soybean peroxidase-mediated removal of triclosan in water，Chemosphere, 172:399-407, 2017
- Feng, Yiping; Lu, Kun; Gao, Shixiang*; Mao, Liang*, The fate and transformation of tetrabromobisphenol A in natural waters, mediated by oxidoreductase enzymes. Environmental science. Processes & impacts, 19(4): 596-604，2017
- Lu, Kun; Dong, Shipeng; Petersen, Elijah J; Niu, Junfeng; Chang, Xiaofeng; Wang, Peng; Lin, Sijie; Gao, Shixiang; Mao, Liang*，Biological Uptake, Distribution, and Depuration of Radio-Labeled Graphene in Adult Zebrafish: Effects of Graphene Size and Natural Organic Matter. ACS nano, 11(3) :2872-2885, 2017
- Wang, GW; Du, ZK; Chen, HY; Su, Y; Gao, SX?; Mao, L；Tissue-Specific Accumulation, Depuration, and Transformation of Triphenyl Phosphate (TPHP) in Adult Zebrafish (Danio rerio)，ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY，50（24）: 13555-13564，2016
- Peng, Jianbiao; Shi, Huanhuan; Li, Jianhua；Wang, LH；Wang, ZY; Gao, SX*；Bicarbonate enhanced removal of triclosan by copper(II) catalyzed Fenton-like reaction in aqueous solution，CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL，306: 484-491，2016
- Wang, Pingping; Du, Zhongkun; Gao, Shixiang*; Zhang, XW*; Giesy, JP；Impairment of reproduction of adult zebrafish (Danio rerio) by binary mixtures of environmentally relevant concentrations of triclocarban and inorganic mercury，ECOTOXICOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL SAFETY，134: 124-132，2016
- Shi, HH; Peng, JB; Li, JH; Mao, L; Wang, ZY; Gao, SX*; Laccase-catalyzed removal of the antimicrobials chlorophene and dichlorophen from water: Reaction kinetics, pathway and toxicity evaluation，JOURNAL OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS，317: 81-89，2016
- Dong, SP; Xiao, HF; Huang, QG; Zhang, J; Mao, L*; Gao, SX*，Graphene Facilitated Removal of Labetalol in Laccase-ABTS System: Reaction Efficiency, Pathways and Mechanism，SCIENTIFIC REPORTS， 6: 21396，DOI: 10.1038/srep21396，2016 ?
- Du ZK, Zhang Y, Wang GW, Peng JB, Wang ZY, Gao SX*. TPhP exposure disturbs carbohydrate metabolism, lipid metabolism, and the DNA damage repair system in zebrafish liver. Scientific Reports. 6:21827，DOI: 10.1038/srep21827，2016.
- Li JH, Zhang Y, Du ZK, Peng JB, Mao L, Gao SX*. Biotransformation of OH-PBDEs by pig liver microsomes: Investigating kinetics, identifying metabolites, and examining the role of different CYP isoforms. Chemosphere. 148: 354-360, 2016.
- Li JH, Peng JB, Zhang Y, Ji YF, Shi HH, Mao L, Gao SX*. Removal of? triclosan? via? peroxidases-mediated? reactions? in? water: Reaction? kinetics,? products? and? detoxification. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 310: 152–160, 2016.
- Peng JB, Li JH, Shi HH, Wang ZY, Gao SX*. Oxidation of disinfectants with Cl-substituted structure by a Fenton-like system Cu2+/H2O2 and analysis on their structure-reactivity relationship, Environ. Sci. Pol. Res. 23:1898–1904, 2016
- Lu, Kun; Huang, Qingguo; Xia, Tian; Chang, Xiaofeng; Wang, Peng; Gao, Shixiang; Mao, Liang*, The potential ecological risk of multiwall carbon nanotubes was modified by the radicals resulted from peroxidase-mediated tetrabromobisphenol A reactions, ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION, 220: 264-273(A), 2016
- Kan Haifeng; Zhao Fuzheng; Zhang Xu-Xiang*; Ren Hongqiang; Gao Shixiang*， Correlations of Gut Microbial Community Shift with Hepatic Damage and Growth Inhibition of Carassius auratus Induced by Pentachlorophenol Exposure，ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY，49（19）: 11894-11902，2015
- Du Zhongkun; Wang Guowei; Gao Shixiang*; Wang Zunyao，Aryl organophosphate flame retardants induced cardiotoxicity during zebrafish embryogenesis: By disturbing expression of the transcriptional regulators，AQUATIC TOXICOLOGY，161（1）: 25-32，2015.
- Feng YP; Lu K; Mao L*; Guo XK; Gao SX; Petersen EJ, Degradation of C-14-labeled few layer graphene via Fenton reaction: Reaction rates, characterization of reaction products, and potential ecological effects, WATER RESEARCH, 84: 49-57, 2015.
- Dong S, Mao Liang *, Luo S, Zhou L, Feng Y, Gao S*. Comparison of lignin peroxidase and horseradish peroxidase for catalyzing the removal of nonylphenol from water. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res., 21:2358-2366, 2014.
- Wang Na; Yang Xiaohong; Jiao Shaojun; Zhang Jun; Ye Boping*; Gao Shixiang*; Sulfonamide-Resistant Bacteria and Their Resistance Genes in Soils Fertilized with Manures from Jiangsu Province, Southeastern China,? PLOS ONE, 9(11): e112626, 2014
- Wang Na; Guo Xinyan; Xu Jing; Kong Xiangji; Gao Shixiang*; Shan Zhengjun, Pollution characteristics and environmental risk assessment of typical veterinary antibiotics in livestock farms in Southeastern China, J.ENVIRON. SCI. HEALTH PART B-PESTICIDES FOOD CONTAMINANTS AND AGRICULTURAL WASTES, 49(7): 468-479, 2014.
- Yiping Feng, Lisa M. Colosi, Shixiang Gao, Qingguo Huang, Liang Mao Transformation and Removal of Tetrabromobisphenol A from Water in the Presence of Natural Organic Matter via Laccase-Catalyzed Reactions: Reaction Rates, Products, and Pathways，Environ. Sci. Technol, 47 (2):1001–1008, 2013
- Cheng J., Mao L., Zhao Z.G., Shen M.G., Zhang S.G., Huang Q.G., Gao S.X., Bioaccumulation, depuration and biotransformation of 4,4’-dibromodiphenyl ether in crucian carp (Carassius auratus). Chemosphere，86：446–453 , 2012
- Shen M., Cheng J., Wu R.H., Zhang S.H., Mao L., Gao S.X., Metabolism of polybrominated diphenyl ethers and tetrabromobisphenol A by ?sh liver subcellular fractions in vitro. Aquat. Toxicol., 114–115:73-79, 2012
- Jie Cheng, Mengnan Shen, Jianfeng Wu, Zhigang Zhao, Liang Mao and Shixiang Gao， Distribution and Assessment of Heavy Metals in Surface Water and Sediments from Nanjing Chemical Industrial Park，Fresenius Environmental Bulletin，21（9）:2702-2710，2012
- Shi JQ., Cheng J, Wang FY, Flamm A, Wang ZY, Yang X, Gao SX, Acute toxicity and n-octanol/water partition coefficients of substituted thiophenols: Determination and QSAR analysis, ECOTOXICOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL SAFETY 78:134-141, 2012
- Han Chao; Geng Jinju; Xie Xianchuan; Wang Xiaorong; Ren Hongqiang; Gao Shixiang, Determination of Phosphite in a Eutrophic Freshwater Lake by Suppressed Conductivity Ion Chromatography, ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, 46(19): 10667-10674, 2012
- Zhao, Yanping; Gu, Xueyuan; Gao, Shixiang; Adsorption of tetracycline (TC) onto montmorillonite: Cations and humic acid effects, GEODERMA , (183): 12-18, 2012
Mailing Address：163 Xianlin Boulevard, Nanjing, China, 210023